By the end of this course, you will:
- Understand technology and new media as historical rather than exclusively recent phenomenon;
- Analyze books and other textual technologies as material objects and within their social contexts;
- Experiment with a range of textual technologies, both historical and modern;
- Examine interplays, both thematic and material, between literary works and contemporaneous technological innovations;
- Draw parallels between literary studies and diverse fields such as information science, computer science, communications, and media studies;
- Develop emerging proficiency exploring textual data with the computer language R;
- and Create original, creative research projects that consciously use media to convey their messages.